Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

Memory Poem


Nostalgic Spice
How a smell of cinnamon can be so
Tantalizing
Especially if that smell coaxes you
To madness
And above all else
Can construct a memorial in the hippocampus

I journeyed to a place where very few
Have not seen already  
A megalithic bazaar  
My transportation blasting me with
Undisputed music of its time while heading there  

My guardian and I enter the great bazaar
Through a darkening underground hall
Where manufactured orange lighting soon illuminated everything
The same color
Even manifesting our skin
The dark hall was polluted
With dangerous toxic fumes and sickening poisons

And how I detested the markets
We would spent a great time lurking about
From one proprietor to the next
Walking started to become something
Meant for the gods
Yet my guardian refused to leave
Being pulled by the strong magnetic force
Of marketing   

Hunger consumed my sanity
Imagining the caramel color floor as if it were
Chocolate cake
But the requiem for my sanity was rescheduled  
When I smelled the aromatic smell
That penetrated the nose
And quelled the restless hunger

I went for the core of the cinnabon
Its sugary cream and cinnamon bread

Disintegrating in my mouth in a blink of an eye   

2 comments:

  1. This was beautiful. I loved the way cinnamon tied into everything, it must be a really strong memory for you. The poem was visual and emotional. Loved it!

    www.alicekouzmenkowriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Alice. Cinnamon is a childhood, nostalgic spice for me

    ReplyDelete